Wednesday, November 14, 2007

These crazy, busy days

These days are amazing. Everyone I speak with—family, friends, coworkers—each says the same thing. "Life has been so busy." or "I just can't seem to stop, too much to do all the time." or "This hectic going is wearing me out."

And I have found myself uttering the same phrase. So tired, so busy, so hectic, too much to do, too little time, stress, stress, stress. And we all seem to find ourselves running hither and yon, doing the "must do"s and many of the "feel like we should"s, and very few of the "want to"s–those things that refresh us.

Sometimes life feels like it is a vast production line and we are simply the cogs clanging through our day only to slam back into place as the alarm sounds the next morning and we begin all over again.

A friend I was talking with last night said something that caused to me stop and think: Everything seems to be escalating.

To escalate is to increase in extent, volume, number, amount, intensity, or scope.

Wow. I think my friend nailed it on the head because everyone seems to be feeling this. Interesting thing is that escalation is usually toward some end. It is not without purpose. What is the Lord allowing to escalate in your life and why?

Sometimes it feels as though life is spinning more and more out of control. And yet, we know that the Lord is still seated on His throne and He is still accomplishing His purposes.

This morning I read i
n 2 Peter 3:14: "Therefore, beloved, ... be diligent to be found by Him in peace..." The Lord has a provision of peace for us to walk out these days, but we must be diligent to stay in it. To me, diligence means it will require work. I know that when I am at peace, I can hear the Lord. When I am agitated, stressed, worried, fearful, etc., my heart is so full of that other noise, I cannot hear my Lord's soft whisper to my heart.

May you be diligent to be found in peace today.
Blessings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow ... I really needed to read this tonight. I'm finally getting some time to rest ... so VERY needed. I need to ponder these things ... thank you, Kerry.

Blessed son of the King said...

I was talking with a brother a while back regarding things "I needed to do."
He asked me, "Do these really need doing? Or are these just things clamoring for your attention to distract you from what you need to be about?"

That is something that always comes back to me when I say those words, or hear somebody else (especially you) say them.

Good reminder, love.