Monday, January 28, 2008

Do you hear what I hear?

Amazing what our ears hear: birds, machines, cars, planes, kids playing, music on the radio. But what do you hear? The reason I ask is that while my house can be full with five people living here over the holidays, I seem to be the only one who hears the buzzer on the washer and dryer when they are done. I am not saying this as a complaint, because when my husband or daughters or son say they didn't hear it—they really didn't hear it.

And there are times when I am writing or reading or working a crossword puzzle and one of my family will ask me something and I will have no idea they just said something to me. So this has caused me to wonder tonight as I alone hear my buzzers going off on the washer and dryer: what are the things I hear?

Truly the things or people we hear are the ones we give importance to. Hmmm... guess that means that my washer can call me out of whatever world I am in, but the people in life can't always do the same. :(

Some of these thoughts have also arisen because in order to be a good writer, you have to be a good observer with all five of your senses. And too many times I go through my days on auto-pilot without truly hearing, seeing, tasting, touching, or smelling the incredible world around me.

So what do you hear?

7 comments:

Chris Krycho said...

Hey! I hear false complaints raised against me! You were not the only person who could hear the laundry. I ended up doing a not inconsiderable bit of folding and load switching over the mere 12 days I was at home with you. *hmph*

:p

I love you.

Ame said...

Chris - lol!

Kerry - Ya know, you can whisper "ice cream" and everyone turns their attention to you :). Yell at the top of your lungs that it's bath time, and no one even acknowledges you exist!

I would argue with you here, though ... if you did not *listen* to your family, you would not even care to set the buzzer on the washer and dryer ;)

Anonymous said...

Chris–in no way was I impuning your honor dear son. I know you helped a lot while you were home. It was simply an observation that we all are tuned to different things at different times.

Please accept my humblest apologies and know your honor will remain intact! :D

Ame-I have the amazing ability to hear the word chocolate whispered from afar–I certainly could hear it whispered! :) Course that's my cure-all for anything happy, sad, bored or anything in between! :P

Blessed son of the King said...

Ame said... "if you did not *listen* to your family, you would not even care to set the buzzer on the washer and dryer"

Except that the buzzer can't be turned off, and it's her underwear in there too. ;-D

Ame said...

Ahhh, David . . . dost thou not know that a woman has within her the ability to successfully persuade a buzzer to cease its proclamation if she so chooses?!!! ;)

Unknown said...

I doth know... ;)

Ame said...

Thou art a wise husband, indeed. May thy wisdom never falter nor fail thee.

:)