Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Good book...

I borrowed a book from my boss at work called Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God by Voddie T. Baucham Jr. (Hardcover - Jun 7, 2007). This is an excellent book outlining the dire need our children have to be trained up in the ways of the Lord, just as we were instructed in Deuteronomy 6.

As the author points out, parents today have the tendency to turn our children over the "experts" be they the local school, private coaches, or youth ministries. Why do we parents think that someone else is supposed to do the hard work in teaching and training our children?

As I look back on the years when my kids were young, there were some things we did right: we read in the Word daily and tried to incorporate it into our lives. But as the kids got older and busier, I see how I dropped the ball and did not pursue time with each of them in the Word or even necessarily discussing what we individually were reading. Not sure when and how we got off course in that, but we did.

I am grateful that all three kids truly love the Lord and yet even now I want to come along side and share with them what the Lord is teaching me and what He is teaching them. I guess the thing is that we let the busyness of life crowd out the important things in life.

Anyway, if you want a good, convicting read to encourage you to invest in building and nurturing godly children and relationships, take a look at this book.

Blessings,

2 comments:

Chris Krycho said...

This is so cool! I'm talking to you on the phone about it now, because I'm so excited that you're reading this... I'm loving the stuff Baucham has to say. :D Praise God!

Jackie Colburn said...

Soooo right on! Instead of fostering nurturing relationships between a father and his children, my hubby'x-wife sought out "professionals." Medication and counseling will never take the place of a missing parent. So, we pray earnestly that when they are on their own, the seeds that were dropped years ago will rise.

Thanks for the post!
Jackie