Sunday, August 12, 2007

Updates from busy life

Interesting time at our house. So busy with the comings and goings that it seems we barely have time to catch our breath. And I wonder why I am trying to blog in the midst of this and I will come across someone who asks about it and mentions that they read it and are encouraged. So I will continue on.

In the last couple of weeks our son returned to Oklahoma. Last week our youngest started her sophomore year of high school, I started a new job, and older daughter finished working for the summer. This is our next transition. Our lovely daughter moves on campus on Tuesday.

I think I am still in denial. All the shopping is mostly done. The packing is pretty well finished. I am very excited for her and eager to hear all the wonderful things the Lord will do this year in her and through her. And I am not thinking about kissing her goodnight tonight or tomorrow night because I think I will lose it. As a matter of fact, I know I will. Kissing our kids goodnight has been such a ritual since they were babies.

Her dad always run through the familiar sleep tight, sweet dreams, see you in the morning, don't let the bed bugs bite, I love you, goodnight. Who loves you most? Jesus. And who else loves you? You do. Who is my precious little lady? I am.

My routine is from a book that we recite in unison: I love you forever, I like you for always, as long as I'm living, my baby you'll be.

And tomorrow night will be the last time I will say that to her on a nightly basis.

I went through this transition with my son and I find it no easier with the second child. When they return home from school, we may still say our goodnights, but the routine, the sweetness of daily familiarity is broken, never to be the same.

And so, I am dreading the goodnights. The days will be busy, full of school, work, activities. It is the bedtime when I miss my kids the most. I guess that is pretty normal for most moms. And somewhere down the road, it becomes "normal" to not have them around to say goodnight to. Sad, but true.

So I'd appreciate prayers for our transitions over the next few days and weeks.

Blessings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, divorce gives a taste of those days to come ... sharing them with another home. But I don't think it's the same. I cannot imagine. You ought to begin a journal of letters to her that you write at bedtime ... to give her at some future time.

Gosh ... school has already begun there!!! We begin two weeks from tomorrow. We're just surviving 100 plus degree days and trying not to think of the beautiful mountains and cool evenings :)

Songbird said...

Sounds like a mouthful of stuff. It is okay to write things. I know hahaha. I'm planning on moving into my apartment(university owned, but good quality) next week between the 21-26. Then, I'm going on a cruise with my family. So, a lot to do for my parents and me. Good luck with everything