Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Good movie

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, ‘Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, talented, fabulous?’ Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing
small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't
feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the
glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.”
Marianne Williamson

This is a quote that was used in the movie, “Akeelah and the Bee.” It is an excellent movie that had great themes of redemption in it. (Other than a little language at the beginning, it was clean of offensive material, and I would highly recommend it.) The story starts with a little girl who speaks of not knowing how or where she fits in life. She is looking for purpose. Something many of us, Christian or not, struggle with at times.

As she begins training for a spelling bee, her coach has her read the above quote. It struck me so much that I played that scene over and over in order to write it down. And while the overall premise is definitely new age in nature, yet I find pieces of truth interwoven throughout it. (Isn’t that what all false beliefs do? Use only portions of the truth?)

Sometimes I do find myself fearing success more than I do failure. Maybe it is because then I know others will be looking to me, that I will have no excuse to hide behind anymore. Maybe it is that my own insecurities will be manifest in the light. Sometimes I think we are afraid of standing successfully because it stands out so distinctly in our fallen world. God is not pleased with those who shrink back, but He calls us to be those who press in.

And isn’t it so like our enemy to whisper in our ear, “Who do you think you are that you would dare to be . . .” I listen to those lies way too often. Forgive me Lord. Yet our mighty, powerful, redeeming God has said that He has given us everything pertaining to life and godliness. He has said that He will complete the work He has begun in us. He has called us to let our light so shine before men that they will see our good works and glorify our Father in heaven.

And I find it true that the Lord does use each one of us to encourage others as He sets us free from fear and beckons us to the light. This is why He exhorts us not to forsake the gathering together. As one of us is encouraged to step out in faith, others are as well.

May you be encouraged today to let your light shine!

5 comments:

Ame said...

wow - i really needed to hear this today :)

thanks!

did you get to read your book over the weekend?

Kerry Krycho said...

Ame, Yes I read the book over the last few days as well. It was pretty good, though not the best Francine Rivers I have read. (Those would be the Mark of the Lion trilogy.) Blessings!

Vicky said...

Hello Kerry

Ame sent me over here, and I'm glad she did. I feel like I've found a kindrid soul in your blog today. (Nice tast in Templates by the way :) What you stated here so well has put into words my own thoughts.

Blessed son of the King said...

And then sometimes there are the circumstances that God puts us in that don't look anything like where we want to be...
But He will require us to come out of the "ourself" we would want to confine ourself to and fulfill the bigness that suits His purpose.

Thank God for His plan and purpose in our lives.

Kerry Krycho said...

Welcome Vicky! Sorry we are sharing so many exciting things like taxes (blech!) in addition to things on our hearts.