Thursday, May 17, 2007

Preparations, meditations

This continues to be whirlwind few weeks as the end of the school year winds down. While we haven't been running every night, there still seems to be a long list of to-do items.

Our girls are preparing/finishing finals, our son is home and looking for work, I am trying to finish up a couple of freelance jobs before the week ends, and then I can try to get the house together for family arriving next week. I am going to begin volunteering at a magazine once a week so I can learn more of the details of writing for one, so I have been lining that up as well.

As far as my own writing goes, I have been bogged down by both busyness and emotions and haven't gotten any done recently. My son said something to me that jarred me: "Write even if everything you are writing will need to be trashed and you have to start over."

All I could think is what a waste! I can objectively see the value of what he's saying, however my practical nature recoils in horror at the waste that it could turn out to be. Then my pastor reminded me that the Lord said to write. He didn't tell me I would be successful, just to write. Okay, back to that obedience thing again. Sometimes I wonder how long it will take for me to receive all the Lord desires to do in me and through me.

I probably won't be on much the next week or so with family here and graduation. Have I said how incredibly proud and blessed I am for my daughter?? The Lord has fashioned for Himself a valiant, compassionate, beautiful, woman of God. How grateful I am for His faithfulness in her life. I am so grateful that she now considers me a friend and not just her mom. :D

I was considering a mother's heart in the midst of Mother's Day, as well as this season of our daughter graduating. Paul speaks of pouring out his life as a drink offering: "But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I rejoice and share my joy with you all"(Phil. 2:17).

This is truly what a mother does from the moment she holds her baby. From the two a.m. feedings, to rocking the sick child through the night, to letting them go to school for the first time. From the sacrificing of sleep, nutrition, time, and energy, a mom pours her life into her children. And we do so willingly. (At least most of the time :P).

Now my days are not sacrificed so much in time, although that still happens. No, my sacrifice and pouring myself out is now more in prayer. My children are either adults, or almost there, and they no longer need mom to hold their hand or tell them how to do something. But I can still pour my life into theirs as I intercede for them and for the decisions they are making.

I am not only proud of each of my children for what they have accomplished at this point in their lives, but for the people they are. God has done a marvelous work and I know that many times it is in spite of me rather than because of anything I did. Our Father is so faithful. I trust Him to continue to strengthen and encourage each of them throughout their lives. They belong to Him, may He receive all the glory.

5 comments:

Songbird said...

Hello, I just found this through Ame's page so I hope you don't mind commenting. As an English major, writing is a creative process in of itself. However, being a person meticulous with writing (but not with other stuff :P), I just hate making mistakes on my writing. But we are human, so it's inevitable.

On the sidenote, God is an awesome God. He blessed you more than enough :)

Kerry Krycho said...

Thanks Songbird. I have seen your comments on Ame' blog and my son Chris'. You are very welcome anytime!

Anonymous said...

yes ... being a mother is being poured out as a drink offering ... i love that ... i don't think i've related that verse to mothering before ... very beautiful :)

i was looking at my nine-year-old yesterday realizing how little time it seems i have to teach and train and ingrain ... in a few years her ears will narrow and let little in ... how many competing voices there will be for her attention and for her affection.

how blessed your children are ... to know their mother is breathing prayers for them.

i've found so much freedom from writing when i'm overwhelmed with emotion ... it also gives me a real mirror to look back into as i forget over time how it really was.

Kerry Krycho said...

Ame–just keep pouring into those girls...even when it seems their ears are shut–it's still getting in. One thing I am grateful for is learning to be friends with my kids. As a single mom with girls, you have a special opportunity to develop that. Just keep listening and loving...God will be faithful. And have fun with them! :)

Blessed son of the King said...
This comment has been removed by the author.