Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Find your wings

In talking with my son the other day, something he said stuck with me. I thought I was doing a pretty good job letting go of my daughter as she gets ready to graduate. As loudly as I protested to him that I was, I realized that "the lady doth protest too much."

There is more letting go I have to do. Funny how I thought I was releasing her just fine, and yet there are some areas I am not. More cutting of heart strings has to be done. She is ready to fly, I must release her more. When our kids were babies, we had to trust those first times we left them. Those times we let them go to their first play dates, kindergarten, sleepovers, field trips, trips with friends, driving, dates, and on and on.

Over and over again there are more places we have to trust the Lord with our children, regardless of their ages. The letting go doesn't stop when they are away at college either. There is more releasing as they make their own decisions that will affect the course of their days and their lives. My prayer is that they always choose life. There is a book I am pulling out to reread, "Give Them Wings," by Carol Kuykendall. It is an excellent book about how to go through the process of children graduating and leaving home. I need reminding of how to let go.

The words to this Mark Harris song echo my heart's cry for each of my children, but especially my daughter right now:

"Find Your Wings"
It's only for a moment you are mine to hold
The plans that heaven has for you
Will all too soon unfold
So many different prayers I'll pray
For all that you might do
But most of all I'll want to know
You're walking in the truth
And If I never told you
I want you to know
As I watch you grow

Chorus:
I pray that God would fill your heart with dreams
And that faith gives you the courage
To dare to do great things
I'm here for you whatever this life brings
So let my love give you roots
And help you find your wings

May passion be the wind
That leads you through your days
And may conviction keep you strong
Guide you on your way
May there be many moments
That make your life so sweet
Oh, but more than memories

Chorus:

It's not living if you don't reach for the sky
I'll have tears as you take off
But I'll cheer as you fly


Isn't this every parent's prayer? It certainly is mine for all three of my children. I pray daily that they will walk only in the truth. I pray that the Lord will fill their hearts with dreams and the courage to pursue them. That they will have the passion and conviction to follow Him, not out of duty but devotion. I pray their hearts will always know how much He loves them and how much we love them. I may have tears as they take off, but there is no one cheering louder as they fly.

6 comments:

Christina Tarabochia said...

I was just thinking of this as my son will be going to his first "drop-off" birthday party. Thanks for the insight!

Chris Krycho said...

It's interesting seeing your perspective. I don't fully understand it - in fact, I can only catch glimpses of what it is like to be a parent, and those glimpses are still shrouded by the mystery of it all to me. I look forward to it, a lot, though it's also a bit scary at times. And you're doing a good job letting go; but as you're fond of reminding me, we can always grow and do better in these areas. I love you!

Girl4God said...

Thank you for sharing this. This song is very appropriate right now in the stage of life we are at right now. I love you so much. You are a great mom.

Anonymous said...

"And you're doing a good job letting go; but as you're fond of reminding me, we can always grow and do better in these areas."

i love chris' comment here - i think our children remember what we say more often than we think ;)

gosh, this song makes me cry everytime. my children are younger, but my friends' children are older, and i remember holding them in my arms when they were born, and now i see them flying. my girls edging away from me a little more every day. it breaks my heart as pride swells at the same time. so hard to let go, but can't really do it any other way.

i was thinking about this just today for my youngest. with her special needs, i just haven't got a grip on all of this yet. i fear for her so much. so much, yet so very little i can do. ugh. it wrings my heart till it bleeds. i know there are areas where she will be incapable of protecting herself, yet i know i can't always be there to cover her in those places. ugh - it hurts.

but i want nothing less that to watch them fly to heights only God could have designed for them!

truly, truly, the pain inflicted on eve was one that continues through the life of being a mother, not simply through the actual, physical event of childbirth.

Anonymous said...

Ame-the one thing I have to constantly remember is that the Lord will always be with my children, even when I am not. He will protect them. And what He does allow them to go through, He will give them grace to bear under. I am with you in praying for protection in every area daily.

Blessed son of the King said...

I've kind of avoided reading this post 'til this morning... should have avoided it this morning too.
I'm still more of an emotional wreck at the moment than I realized, even after joining you cry watching the chick-flick the other night. :-/
Back to considering letting go to let them fly on their own makes my heart weak(er). owly