Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Writing update and accountability

Well, today's writing consisted of doing my next lesson. The only "fun" part of it was getting to discuss what my book idea is about and who my target audience is.

Yesterday I was working on a piece told to me by a dear friend about a lesson the Lord taught her in the midst of a difficult move. (Sherre if you see this, know that I will be calling you soon for more details!!) He told her to plant flowers. That has stuck with me on so many levels. The Lord wants to beautify our lives, but many times He is asking us to get down in the dirt so the preparation is what it needs to be, otherwise the flowers won't thrive. I like to enjoy flowers and I don't even mind planting them. But I don't particularly like to prepare the soil ahead of time (can you say, manure?) and I don't like weeding. Both of which are necessary for flowers to thrive. And Jesus promised us a life which will thrive. (See John 10:10.)

The Lord required my friend to plant perennials even knowing that as a military wife, she would only get to enjoy them briefly. But how many of us only want to plant when and where we choose and what will bring us pleasure? The lesson Jesus was teaching my dear sister was that it wasn't about her. It was about investing right where she was that day. (Ah, yes, that lesson we have to be taught over and over it seems.) Her story has stuck with me vividly.

I also thought I would post my book idea so if anyone has anymore thoughts along this line or you know someone who is in the military, please send them my way. The book is about America’s unsung heroes: military families.

They are resourceful, tough, adaptable, and resilient. They face day-in and day-out battles to stay strong, to take care of life at home, to fight fears and questions, to keep the home fires burning. They have to be ready to move across country or overseas whenever Uncle Sam orders.

How do these courageous women and men waiting at home fight off the depression, loneliness, fear, and boredom? How do they manage to preserve a relationship not knowing when, and sometimes if, they will see their loved one again? What strength and resourcefulness do they exhibit as they juggle paying bills, nursing sick children, holding down jobs, fixing the leaky toilet all while waiting to hear if their loved one is safe one more day?

These are our unseen, unrecognized warriors. They may not wear the uniform, but they fight to maintain life at home so our soldiers can fight without distractions. The battles these hidden warriors face not only rage while the loved one is away. They may continue even when their soldier returns: He or she may be battle-weary, experiencing post-traumatic stress, or injured. These are the stories of America’s hidden heroes. They are our neighbors, our co-workers, and the parents of our children’s classmates.

In understanding military families and their incredible sacrifices, we can learn to how to support them daily, lending an ear to listen, a shoulder to cry on, and a heart to rejoice with them.


Blessings!

4 comments:

Chris Krycho said...

I love the new look and some of the cool things you've implemented. And I like the summary of your book. I've seen snippets of that, but never the full thing. It makes me even more excited to see how it will come out. And I look forward to seeing how the various stories play out in the midst of it. I'm so blessed to see you walking out this in such joy and passion, though of course it has its hard moments (what work doesn't?). It's just extremely encouraging to see you coming so alive. Thanks for sharing it with all of us.

Thanks, as always, for your prayers. I've needed them, and I still do. This is going to be a long process, and I keep having to remind myself of that. I just want it to be done with. It's okay, though: God is doing it on His timing.

I'll probably give you a ring sometime... today, by the time you read this, most likely. Lots of stuff to go through, from things I'm figuring out about class schedules over the next two years to work, to especially the things God is doing. I love you!

Ame said...

i love the planting flowers story. i learned from my abusive parents that nothing promised will be kept and that nothing started will be completed. it helped me cope with disappointment, but it's not good to carry with me. it's hard to break. planting things and helping them grow has been hard for me because the process is long - not a one-stop-shop. hummmm ... i'm sure this will linger in my heart for quite some time.

i love your book. yes, they need to be recognized.

Anonymous said...

I wandered here when I was checking to see what Chris had written; I hope you don’t mind. I've lived around the military my entire life, and I think you've done a great job of capturing the spirit of perseverance that military families have. Even children in military families do their part. I also loved your story about gardening. It happens to be one of my hobbies, and I have to say that I even like the weeding part of the job. It gives me time to enjoy God’s creation, exercise, clear my head, and talk to God. I rarely get interrupted when I garden because people tend to live in fear of being asked to help weed ;-)
-Nadine

Kerry Krycho said...

Nadine-welcome! Actually once you mentioned the quiet and contemplation time with the Lord, I remembered that I like it too. I just forget in the midst of winter sometimes! :) Hope your final semester (can't believe it!) is going well.

Blessings, Kerry