Thursday, March 22, 2007

More writing

Well, I just spent the last hour writing more for Hidden Heroes. It is starting to be a tad less difficult to write now that I have some structure. :)

I wrote more on the intro about where this whole concept came from. I know that the Lord placed this burden, this deep, deep concern on my heart for our wonderful military families. As I have pondered this more, He has shown me that some of it was birthed in my own experiences as a young girl when my dad shipped out to Thailand during the Vietnam War. As I have spent time remembering that and talking with my mom about it, I have realized how deeply it affected me.

As I spend time researching and talking with military families, I am so humbled to write this book. I don't know if I can fully express my heart, but I know it is not of me. Everyone I speak to, military or not, writer or not, leaps at the idea. Every response I have gathered has caused me to cry. It touches something so deep within me, causing me to be so grateful to these courageous families. And I long to shout from the rooftops of the depth of their sacrifice and love for our country. I want the nation to stop for just a moment and say thank you. Which honestly seems too small.

The other night my husband and I watched a movie, "We Were Soldiers," which came out a few years ago. We had borrowed it from our nephew several months ago and had been waiting to watch it. We knew we needed to be in the right place to watch it since we had heard it was intense. And it was intense. But the intensity for me wasn't the battles, which I confess to blocking with my hands most of the time. It was how the Army colonel and his wife took ownership of their troops and families. By ownership, I mean that they felt responsible. They took the burden of caring for them. That is the message I feel led to write: how can we as individuals reach out and care for military families around us?

That is why I wept from the beginning of the movie until after the final credits. I wept for the incredible loss of life. I wept for the wives and children who paid the high price. I wept for a nation that was and is unprepared, and at times unwilling, to acknowledge their sacrifices so that we can be free. Isn't it ironic that the ones who pay so high a price are the ones we sometimes choose to ignore because seeing them shakes our comfortable world? Anyway, enough preaching!

As for the writing, I also took the responses I have received to the questionnaire thus far and plugged the answers into the proper chapters. Next I will look at expanding those into full stories as I talk further with these ladies. I have several more contacts to pursue so I am off to follow up on those.

Blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"the ones we sometimes choose to ignore because seeing them shakes our comfortable world?"

wow - isn't that true. the list of things we *ignore* because seeing them shakes our comfortable world. Jesus never did ignore, did He. He went straight to them ... and if we follow in the dust from His heels, we must go straight to them, too. wow - excellent, Kerry!